Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
had had
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: had had
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
had had 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 78
Hi, guys, I need some help with a question that has been driving me crazy. Check out this sentence:

Joe had had a tennis lesson last Thursday.

Do you see what's bothering me? HAD HAD. Is this proper grammar? Several times in my writing, I've been in situations where the most natural way to phrase something is "had had". I've always twisted my phrasing around to avoid it, but every time I think about it, I really WANT to know: is it wrong or right?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:had had 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 24
As far as I know, "had had" is grammatically correct, just not often used because of how awkward it is. Similar to "I gave her her jacket." or "The problem is is that it's too cold outside." In my opinion, even if they are grammatically correct, rewording the sentence is probably the best way to go.

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:had had 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 277
I've found the following sources that might help your confusion (and that of everyone else) over the usage:

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/general-language-discussions/317-had-had.html#post1541

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/double-is-double-has.aspx

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100409090153AAaOX02

Hope you all find these helpful!!

Even without the above references, though, I usually settled on either using a contraction with the first "had," like: "She'd had a terrible day." It always sounded like it flowed so much better than the stark "had had." I also tend to reword sentences with "is is" or other past perfects together like that.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:had had 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 25
I am glad that this got brought up! It is one of those things that has always bothered me

Logged Logged
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
Re:had had 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 17
I'm in agreement with everyone else.

"had had" is grammatically correct. The first "had" is your helper (auxiliary) and the second is your verb, but you come across these things when you use a passive tense like past perfect. When you change to a different tense such as "regular" past: "Joe had a tennis lesson last Thursday." you retain the meaning without the awkwardness. There are times it is necessary as in "Joe had had a tennis lesson when he broke his ankle." This tells us that the tennis lesson had finished before he injured himself.

If it doesn't feel comfortable though, re-wording is an easy way to fix it. The same applies to "is is", "that that", and others. They can be correct, but feel awkward, so go with what works for you.

Wiccan's second website (grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...) is a good one to reference. It's well presented and usually a pretty decent reference overall.

Logged Logged
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:had had 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 60
I use such wording as it sounds just fine and is grammatically correct. You wouldn't believe how many people actually use this while conversing.

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.