Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
How long...
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: How long...
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 29
how long after an author goes without updating a story do you loose interest or take it off of alerts? I'm not talking about those stories that are a series of unconnected one-shots that are added to as one shots are written, I'm talking about chapter stories. Just curious.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/07/13 11:56 By MoxyMikki.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 156
That's a really interesting question, I'd like to hear the answers as well. As I'm one of the evil and whimsical authors who might just go months without an update because the block just is there.... >.< And I think that's one of the reasons my story Tables Turned has never been as popular as I'd want it to be, the updates come VERY seldom for that one... I last updated it around Christmas... .__.

I'm babbling, forgive me. I never really take stories off my alert list, but then again, I barely ever pick up a new fic nowadays, I've become so picky.. :/

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 29
Chie wrote:
That's a really interesting question, I'd like to hear the answers as well. As I'm one of the evil and whimsical authors who might just go months without an update because the block just is there.... >.< And I think that's one of the reasons my story Tables Turned has never been as popular as I'd want it to be, the updates come VERY seldom for that one... I last updated it around Christmas... .__.

I'm babbling, forgive me. I never really take stories off my alert list, but then again, I barely ever pick up a new fic nowadays, I've become so picky.. :/

its easy to be picky when there is so much to sort through. Not trying to be mean or anything but like 60% of all the S/K stories are just not well done. out of that 40% that are actually really good, maybe only 10% will ever get finished.

I usually loose interest once there hasnt been an update in over a month. Unless the author otherwise explains they wont be updated for an extended period of time, I'll take them off my alerts. Otherwise, if the author does finally update and I happen to catch it in the latest update posts, then I'll read it, but I most likely wont re-add it to my alerts until I notice to story updated with some regularity... I like to see an update at least once a month.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 277
Once a story is on my alerts, I never take it off. I've had story alerts for things that I don't remember for the life of me. I often have to go back two or three chapters to pick up the gist of the story... and, in rare cases, all the way back to the beginning!

So, if I have you on my alerts, you're gonna stay there FOREVER. Well, as long as I'm around, anyway!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 34
I put random stories on my alert list. i usually take them off if i just stopped liking the fic or am bored with it. But other than that i leave the alerts on so i can continue with the story even if i have to reread some previous things.

I also would like to take this chance to apologize to any out there who may be mad at me for not updating much of my chapter stories, sometimes i get blocks for different stories that just never seems to go away. *blushes* I don't mean to! T-T

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 78
As a fanfic writer, I admit I feel guilty about not updating regularly. But I'm not about to post my writing if I feel it detracts from the chapters I have already posted. However, I'm approaching this subject in the guise of a reader, not a writer. As a reader, I appreciate the huge amount of time and effort that goes into writing a quality fanfic. I have also noticed that some of the best writers out there, unlike me, have a lot going on in their lives! They have family, educational, and career obligations, so I consider it a huge privilege that they take time away from that to share their creative efforts with readers like me. If another update for "Beside You In Time" does not come out for three years, I will only be MORE excited at seeing an update. That is a good example, because I believe the author is trying to write for us, while in the process of taking the bar exams. There was a recent update to "Whose Child is This" when I had given up hope, and it made me so happy. "Through the Mirror" by Sidhe has recently become active again, as well. If I need to go back and re-read to refresh my memory, I view it as an opportunity to further explore a multi-faceted fic. The good ones are worth reading over and over, in my opinion. So no fanfic author is going to get any flack from me for not updating regularly, just appreciation when they can find the time and inspiration to do so.

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
I also really respect an author who takes the time to write quality pieces, rather than just kicks out updates. However I think a balance should be found, if possible, and if not, then its just nice to have an authors note that explains there may not be an update for a while. No reason is necessary, but knowing that the author hasn't just dropped a story, makes me more willing to stick around. As an author I struggle to get an update out every 2 weeks. Thats hard for me, and although I have duties more pressing, I dont have a TON going on like some authors who are able to update weekly, and still produce amazing work. It makes me feel bad for my readers. Likewise I feel like if you are doing your job as an author then you CAN'T get your updates out fast enough for your readers, because they are revenous for more. So authors who get the constant flow of "more updates!" shouldn't be discouraged but flattered.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
MoxyMikki wrote:
I also really respect an author who takes the time to write quality pieces, rather than just kicks out updates. However I think a balance should be found, if possible, and if not, then its just nice to have an authors note that explains there may not be an update for a while. No reason is necessary, but knowing that the author hasn't just dropped a story, makes me more willing to stick around. As an author I struggle to get an update out every 2 weeks. Thats hard for me, and although I have duties more pressing, I dont have a TON going on like some authors who are able to update weekly, and still produce amazing work. It makes me feel bad for my readers. Likewise I feel like if you are doing your job as an author then you CAN'T get your updates out fast enough for your readers, because they are revenous for more. So authors who get the constant flow of "more updates!" shouldn't be discouraged but flattered.

There's only one problem with those explanatory Author's Notes on this site: We do not allow Author's Notes as standalone chapters. I would urge any authors wishing to let their readership know that an update will or will not be forthcoming to either post such on their profiles, or leave a note on the forum.

I know this presents a problem for some authors, but I would far rather have some readers upset over no updates than to have to delete a story simply because the author created a standalone "Author's Note Chapter."

Thanks for your cooperation!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Thanks Wiccan, but I was actually refering to leaving an AN at the beginging or end of the last chapter you update, prior to your absence... that sort of thing.

Logged Logged
Rowdys girl
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 12
I rarely take a story off my alert list. I'm following four stories where the authors write very slowly. I've been following these stories for years, literally years! Will I ever stop looking for updates? Probably not. The writing of the three authors is too excellent, the stories are too captivating. Ten years from now I will still be checking to see if there have been any updates... And I will probably have added other authors to my list.

Logged Logged

This is starting to make sense... time to up my medication.

I live in my own little world, but it\\\'s okay, they know me here.

Even if the voices are not real - they have some pretty good ideas!

I don\\\'t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Until further notice, celebrate everything!
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 156
MoxyMikki wrote:
Thanks Wiccan, but I was actually refering to leaving an AN at the beginging or end of the last chapter you update, prior to your absence... that sort of thing.

That is always appreciated. Though I have to point out that a block is always inpredictable, and for me at least, a frequent and long-lasting enemy.

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Chie wrote:
MoxyMikki wrote:

That is always appreciated. Though I have to point out that a block is always inpredictable, and for me at least, a frequent and long-lasting enemy.

that is certainly true.

Logged Logged
BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 7
Hmm...well I never really take stories off my alert list unless the quality all of a sudden heads in a downward spiral. Even if the story never gets updated I just leave it on incase the author ever decides to finish it. However, it does irritate and annoy me when a good story never gets finished.

Logged Logged

MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
BlueHeavensAngel wrote:
Hmm...well I never really take stories off my alert list unless the quality all of a sudden heads in a downward spiral. Even if the story never gets updated I just leave it on incase the author ever decides to finish it. However, it does irritate and annoy me when a good story never gets finished.

I understand authors not finishing a story because sometimes personal issues get in the way, other times its writers block. It still drives me nuts though. Not in a negative way against the authors, its just that I really was in to a story. Although someone on another thread once had a good idea... if you abandon a story (and assuming you have where you want the plot to go, as most good authors have outlined for themselves) then share the outline, or a gist of where you planned to take it, just to appease curiosity. Obviously as you write, the story sometimes diverges from the original plot outline, but usually the imporant and intricate details remain relatively unchanged.

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
From a reader's point of view, I very rarely even read an unfinished story and think I have maybe two or three stories on my alerts. But even though I know one of them is finished, I'll probably never take it off cause I'm too lazy to lol. For the rare occasion that I do read an unfinished, I usually give it until I can not longer remember what happened so far in the story, about a month, or after reading a few stories while waiting. I would have to reread the whole thing anyways so I find it's easier to just wait til it's finished, if it ever is.

From a writer's point of view, I kinda feel sorry for anyone who has me on alerts, especially if they use author alert rather than story. There's been some days where I get up to five updates out, for different stories of course , and I can just image the spam of email they get lol.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Hairann - I can speak as a reader when I say that THOSE spam emails are joyously received!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
@Hairann - We call those days CHRISTMAS IN JULY!!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:How long... 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Haha, well guess I don't have to feel so bad now .

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.