Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
About a search people site
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: About a search people site
Fye
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 24
Ok, so I was stalking YoukaiYume's tumblr account and ended up reading a post that might be of interest to all of you American residents: finding people online. Turns out this Spokeo site contains a lot of personal information on people, including minors, living on North America. You guys might want to look yourselves/families up and remove the information from there, so read the tumblr link I first posted to find out how to do it.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 109
Thank you for the heads up. Luckily, my old college address is on there and nothing else. EW! But my parents/ sister are listed- I have to fix that.

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
Thanks for the heads up, posted it on my facebook and recommend the same. Found three of mine including an address I lived at way back when I was a minor. Even has my mom's address and such up back with her maiden name, which she hasn't used in over 30 years.

Thankfully removing them was easy, but don't want to think about how many people could have gotten my number and address before I took it down...

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Inkasha Taisho
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 7
How do you remove yourself, that is so creepy. It doesn't have my current info, but still.

Logged Logged

Fye
Pup
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 24
Video on how to remove information:

or check out Cool Mom Tech. Like I said before, spokeo only has information of people living in North America.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/08 22:10 By Fye.
bookgirl813
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 76
Thanks for this. I was amazed at the amount of information that could be found on me and my husband. Very disturbing.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 47
Thanks for letting us know about this. Phone number and address is one thing (you can find that in the phone book), but the information available on this site is a total invasion of privacy and outright creepy. I'll definitely pass this on to my friends and family. Plus, I'll be bookmarking this site to periodically check to make sure my information doesn't pop up on it again.

I did a search for myself and my parents and found seven listings. I'm in the process of removing them. Just to let you all know, like the video shows, you have to go through the removal process for each listing one at a time, and you will instantly be sent an email with a confirmation link to click. But if you try to remove more than 5 consecutively, you'll get an message that states,

"In order to prevent abuse, we must limit the frequency of automated privacy requests. Government officials please use your @.gov email address for priority processing."

I tried removing the last two of my listings using a different email address and then a different computer, but got the same message. I think it means that I will eventually get an email with a confirmation link, but it irritates me that they are preventing me from removing it instantly. I'll give them a day to respond.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 60
HOW DARE THEY?!
Though some of the information is completely inaccurate or no longer applies to me, some of what little they have on me IS accurate! I don't know who this person(s) is, how they got my personal info, or why they would even bother, but I will do MURDER if I EVER find out who would dare broadcast my personal information!

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 54
It's not a person, its a data collection company. The idea is to make it easier for friends and family to find you, but they shouldn't be allowed to add you; you should have to do it yourself.

They gather your information from facebook and other sites like that. So basically anywhere you have information online, even if your profile is private, they seem to be able to gather the information about you.

What really worries me is the fact that they had an address on there I only lived in as a minor; my name should have been no where on that at all. And I have read that they have current minors listed on the site as well; that is even more dangerous as it leaves them vulnerable.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 60
Someone runs that company and their are people working there so yes there is people at fault!

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Lady of Jupiter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 29
I removed my family from it, but I got to reading and it seems that since my information was on that site it is probably on others as well. They even had my 12 year old niece on there.

Logged Logged
genie48
Pup
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Maybe this will help you. I was able to remove 4 listings last night using the same email address for all four listings. I was able to remove 5 listings today using the same email address as last night without any problem. However, I did go back on the sight and redo the whole process to remove the 5 listings I removed today. Hopefully things will work the same for you.

Logged Logged
Kessa
Pup
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 8
Wow, that is unreal. I'm thankful that I'm in Canada and don't have to worry about this, but sadly I have relatives I was able to find with this and all this personal info. I'll definitely be informing them about this, thank you for telling about it!

Logged Logged

There is a darker side in all of us that needs to be appeased...
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:About a search people site 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 57
>.> Apparently Spokeo differentiates itself by collating information about you from Public sources i.e. social media and Phonebooks and the like. Apparently it doesn't share any personal information you give the site by creating an account there, because that would be in breach of your legal rights, which would land them in a tonne of hot-water.

But if the info about you is already available in public sources i.e. the Phonebook than they're technically not in breach of your rights by collating it on their site, since the info is publically available.

That's a very grey area though.

Very grey.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/16 05:46 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.