Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
How do you find the inspiration to make art?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: How do you find the inspiration to make art?
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
How do you find the inspiration to make art? 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 57
Hiya,

As an artist I've always been very curious about how other artists get their inspiration to draw and to start for example a new piece of art or pieces of artwork.

So I have a few questions for artists out there.

1. How do you get inspired?

2. When you have inspiration, how do you get started drawing it out?

3. Do you have a process you go through to draw i.e. sketch, clean-up lineart and colour?

4. How long does it take you to complete an art piece?

5. How often do you draw?

6. What tools do you use i.e - a tablet or traditional media or both?

For myself:

1. How do you get inspired?

2. Anything really. I've taken to offering to draw art for a few dokugans to practise, for example on drawing people. Something I'm fairly weak at but hoping to improve.

3. When you have inspiration, how do you get started drawing it out?

4. I sketch out stuff on a page, using in pencil, and then I alter the sketch using rough and dirty outlines, without any details, until I'm happy with the result. Once the idea is finalised I start roughing in base details that will become lineart.

5. Do you have a process you go through to draw i.e. sketch, clean-up lineart and colour?

6. Yup, I sketch ideas, takes a while, and then once I'm happy I rough-in the base lineart, usually just blank shapes of the overall image, before adding in final details, or rather, sorting out what the final detailing will be. I usually do this as a part by part process. For example. I might do all the clothing first, the face next i.e. eyelashes, pupils, lips etc, and then move onto the hair. So the drawing gets finished in steps, one part at a time.

I do all this before colouring, if I colour at all.

7. How long does it take you to complete an art piece?

8. Depends on the complexity. If its a detailed piece with lots of stuff, like hair, armour, scales, etc, it could take weeks or even months since I obsess over small details. And because in RL I'm not always motivated to draw, so I can go days without doing anything, or do a few little things over a week or so when I find time.

My motto for art is like for when I write fiction.

The piece is finished when it tells me its finished, not when I think its finished.

It's one of those odd 'intuition' things.

I just know when the time is right.

9. How often do you draw?

10. Not as often as I should, sadly. I can only really draw when I'm motivated, or when I really want to finish part of an artwork, but that usually happens only when I know what the detailing for that part or piece is for example: Scales on a piece of armour, symmetry, etc, it's very much a work in progress at times.

11. What tools do you use i.e - a tablet or traditional media or both?

12. Pencil on paper, and a tablet more recently. I also use a lot of references whether that be photos, or even costuming or even the armour like on movie characters. It depends on what I'm drawing.

That's me.

Thanks.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/07/30 03:45 By Pyre.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.