Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Length: when is it too much?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Length: when is it too much?
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Length: when is it too much? 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 12
I'm hoping I posted this in the write place? ( get it? Cause I'm punny? I'll stop now )

This is more of a general opinion(ish) type thing. I recently wrote a one shot I have been working on for some time. I typically do chapter stories, so before I post this I have done some cyber snooping and noticed that a lot of one shots can vary in length, as per stated in the rules. I'm currently sitting at 6000ish words, which isn't that long for me. I have done chapters with 6,000 plus. I have gone back and I figured out that I want to add a few more "snippets" things. I think if I add everything, I'll be hitting around maybe the 8-9,000 mark.

So, after my ramble, is this too much for a one shot? Should I break it up in to like a two shot sort of thing ( is that still allowed by the rules? I didn't look that one up)? I've seen that done by older fics and I would wondering opinions. I know every one is different and of course everyone's reading preferences are different.I have only written two other one shots before ( for the HP fandom), but they were vastly different from what I have written now.

Side note: this one shot is written in like a diary format.

For example: December 16th 2015: -insert babbling here- Each entry varies in length, depending on the scene. Maybe this should be a dribble kinda thing. HELP?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Length: when is it too much? 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Check out "Table for Three" by Priestess Skye which weighs in at over 17,000 words:

http://www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/262/1

Rated M, NO YIMs!

or

"Like Peanut Butter" by Yabou, weighing in at almost 20,000 words:

http://www.dokuga.com/spark/story/7067/1

Rated MA, no YIMs!

Both of those stories are ultimately extremely satisfying, even though it might take a while to get through them. Both stories, if I recall correctly, garnered their fair share of reviews, despite their length. Of course, I might be just a tad prejudiced, since I beta-ed both of them at one point or another, LOL!!

~~Wiccan~~
PS - You can take a oneshot into two chapters, but no more than that per the rules.

Thanks for checking!

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Length: when is it too much? 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Hiya,

Nah I think you're OK.

Oneshots are basically any length. They just don't have more than one chapter, but that depends on the author really.

Longest oneshot I've written is about 6K+, although not for Inuyasha.

It was for TMNT, and I just posted that as one long oneshot.

Worked all right.

I mean if it's good peeps will read it regardless of length.

It just takes longer to get through.

The diehard-core fanfic readers are intimidated by nothing. XD And I mean nothing. Not even length.

Scary ne?

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/10/05 22:13 By Pyre.
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Length: when is it too much? 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 154
The longest oneshot I've read was 64k. If the oneshot is engaging enough, then length is no option. Some "oneshots" have really natural break points (whether that's big POV switches, time intervals, changes in action, etc) that lend themselves to be broken into chapters. Some don't. Choose whichever you're more comfortable with.

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Length: when is it too much? 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 12
Somehow I missed your responses . Thank you so much for the advice and opinions! I finally posted my one shot and it ended up being 20k something. My muse hates me, hes sitting in a corner saying rude and not so G rated things at the moment.

Wiccan, once I have updated ( hopefully by next week before a vacation) I'm actually going to sit down and read those stories. They had been on my list for some time, but I never got around to reading them.

Pyreite, Honestly I didn't know people wrote fanfiction for TMNT. It's been a hot second since I have watched the cartoons or the movies. I may start watching all my old "kid" movies again. I do agree, we really aren't intimidated by anything.

Nicole, do you happen to know the title of that oneshot? I'm curious as to what it's about. The length has reeled me in XD I had debated in breaking mine up into a two part, but I just couldn't decide where to split it up at, so I left it - Kanye shrugs-

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/10/23 01:20 By MistressScar.
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Yup, it was Halloween Love by cindygirl. Rated MA. I remember being really surprised at how long it was when I finished reading it—just like I was with yours when I finished reading it a few minutes ago.

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Nicole, you're so sweet. Once I come back from vacation I will be reading it. it will be perfect since it's Halloween this weekend!

To be honest, I finished Liberation and sent it to a friend, all without realizing the length. She reads all my stuff before I post them, but to give me some insight. She texted me saying "You realize you just wrote a one shot that was 20k right?" I didn't believe her, till I checked for myself. I was amazed I wrote that much.

Logged Logged
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
That's when you know the oneshot isn't too long

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph

That awkward moment when you help answer your own question.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.