Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Joy, the PM spammer...
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Joy, the PM spammer...
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 277
Once again, "Joy," the bane of my existence, created hundreds of spam PMs and sent them out to our members. Her account has been banned, the PMs have been deleted, but they might have sat there if not for an alert member letting me know.

In the future, if you get ANY PMs that look like this:

" Hi,
Please can we be friends?
My name is Joy Deacon,i am a beautiful and simple girl,i'm interested in you for a good friendship, if you feel the same you can as well contact me at (joydeacon @hotmail.com)for a better introduction.
Joy."

DO NOT click on any of the links, and do not respond. PM me as soon as possible so that I can ban the spammer before we total another few hundred or so spam PMs!!

For anyone who might be worried about these PMs, if you didn't click any links, I sincerely doubt that opening any of the PMs on our site did anything to your computer. Again, PLEASE let me know ASAP if you get any PMs like this in the future!!!

Thank you all!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Cinn of Slumberland
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I was wondering about that! I'm pretty new so I didn't know but she seemed really fishy. She said she wanted to send me pictures. I wasn't sure if I should report her or what...

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 277
Please, if anything ever seems on the iffy side, do NOT hesitate to contact me. I swear I won't bite... or get too grumpy!!

We don't monitor the PMs, although we do monitor the forum constantly, so we can't know when some spammer is creating - literally - hundreds of PMs. Okay, we monitor the forum as constantly as we can when all our admins are in the U.S. and we need to sleep sometimes, LOL!

At any rate, do not feel like you'd be bothering me if you have any questions or concerns. It might take me a while to get back to you on them (I work some ungodly hours), but I can assure you that I do want to know!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Y. Kajitaka
Pup
graphgraph
Ah, so it's a mass spammer... I wasn't sure what to think when I got it, so I just deleted it and ignored... =v=;;

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Yup, she was quite the headache a while ago, and it appears that she has a new IP address from which to bother us. As I said, her account - as of July 1 - has been banned, so anything anyone received before that has now been cleared. She's persistent, though, so if you receive anything in the future, please let me know!

THANK YOU!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Misaki
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 6
Oh I got an email for that too. I was really creeped out, I have never even heard of the person that wanted to be my "friend". So thanks Wiccan for taking care of this spammer.

Logged Logged

phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 31
Awwwww... I've not been spammed on dokuga. the phish is hip enough to get spammed. Haruphffggfffff

Logged Logged

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”
- The Narrator from Dave the Barbarian

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Aww, I'm sorry phishy!!!!

If it weren't for the fact that it takes freakin' forever to delete all that icky stuffs, I'd have let her go 'till she spammed us all. But... no. Too much of a chance that:

1. I'd be deleting her garbage all day, AND

2. Someone just might click on her links.

Better to zap 'em before then, eh?

~~me~~

Logged Logged

Setsuna24
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
Sadly, I had not seen post about "Joy" before I had clicked on the email and replied to her.
This is what I gotand it looks like one of those "President of Nigeria" scams. I had to mark her as Dangerous SPAM in my email, hopefully I dont hear from her again.

"Hello Dearest.

Firstly I thank you for your reaction to my e-mail; inline with the message which I have sent to you.How are you over there in your country? I believe you are having a nice time and the atmosphere over there in your country is very nice today,mine is a little bit warm over here in Dakar Senegal.. My name is Joy Deacon.I 'm 24 years from Ivory Coast in West Africa, 5.10ft tall, Fair in complexion,(never married before) and presently i am residing in the refugee camp here in Dakar as a result of the civil war that was fought in my country.My late father Dr Alex Deacon was the managing director of Alexokans and Associates (Ltd) and he was the personal adviser to the former head of state before the rebels attacked our house one early morning and killed my mother and my father in cold blood.It was only me that is alive now and I managed to make my way to a near by country Senegal where i am living now in a refugee camp,and this computer is belonging
to a reverend that has a church here in the camp.

I decided to contact you because of the urgency of my situation here, and after reading your profile. I don't have any relatives now whom i can go to, all my relatives ran away in the middle of the war the only person i have now is Reverend Fr. who is the Senior Priest here in (St.Louis Catholic Church) here in the camp he has been very nice to me since i came here but i am not living with him rather i am leaving in the women's hostel because the camp have two hostels one for Male the other for Female.

The Reverend's Tel number is (221-766325751): (+221-779721051)if you call and tell him that you want to speak with me he will send for me in the hostel.

As a refugee here i don't have any right or privileged to any thing be it money or whatever because it is against the laws of this country.I want to go back to my studies because i only attended my first year as a law student before the tragic incident that lead to my being in this situation now took place.

Please listen to this, i have my late father's Fund deposit certificate, bond agreement of the fund and death certificate here with me which i will send to you latter, because when he was alive he deposited some amount of money in a bank which he used my name as the next of kin, the amount in question is ($3.6)Three Million Six Hundred Thousand US Dollars)..

So, i will like you to help me transfer this money to your account ) and from it you can send some money for me to get my traveling documents and air ticket to come over to meet with you.

I kept this secret to people in the camp here the only person that knows about it now is you because i trust you that you will be of assistance to me.

So, in the light of above i will like you to keep it to yourself and don't relate it to anyone for i am afraid of loosing my life and the money if people gets to know about it.

Remember i am giving you all this information due to the trust i deposed on you.I like honest and understanding people, truthful and men of vision, truth and hard working man.

The money in question was made by my late father through his cocoa and political career and that is why i don't want anyone here to know about it until i travel out from here.

My favorite language is English but i speaks and write English very fluently. Meanwhile i will like you to call me like i said i have a lot to tell you. Have a nice day and think about me. i wait your call

I want you to send me your contact information such as your
Names ..................................

Country ..............................

Telephone ..........................

Awaiting to hear from you soonest
Yours loved one"

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
I'm so sorry that happened to you!!!

Again, I urge everyone to contact an admin BEFORE clicking on anything in a site email that looks like this. Our site automatically sends email notification of your PMs, so I have no control over that, but don't click on anything in a site email that seems even the least bit suspicious.

I would urge you, if you get an email notice of a site PM that contains a link, you log in to your account here and view the PM through the site. It might not stop you from getting spam like this, but it might help.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Liz
Pup
graphgraph
Thank you I caught this before I opened my messages. So many thanks!!!!

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 57
You know what's ironic?

That's a pretty detailed email for a chick living in a refugee camp, in a country that's in the middle of a civil war.

There's no way, if this Joy was real, that she would have internet access, let alone have time to write an email like this.

The priority is always food, resources, and shelter, and water not emails.

Yah, it's a scam.

Phishing more or less, trying to get personal details, contact information, probably trying to form a relationship with whoever gives up details.

Stuff like this was on Dr. Phil.

First it's sympathy then it's money.

Don't be fooled.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 56
I can't help but laugh at these kind of emails..... It's like "Here's my references.... I am really in a sad situation and can only trust you.... Help me Obi Wan Kanobi. You're my only hope."

I sincerely hope that common sense reigns with people and they just delete this email, but something must be working for the jerks to continue to use the same scam over and over.

Logged Logged

phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 31
Pyreite wrote:
Phishing more or less, trying to get personal details, contact information, probably trying to form a relationship with whoever gives up details.

One a side note:
I never heard of the term Phishing when I picked my Internet alias over 15 years ago. It's funny to me now that Phishing is now used for a bad thing. Poor Phish the band and me!

Logged Logged

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”
- The Narrator from Dave the Barbarian

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
phishbon3s wrote:

One a side note:
I never heard of the term Phishing when I picked my Internet alias over 15 years ago. It's funny to me now that Phishing is now used for a bad thing. Poor Phish the band and me!

I know, phishy!!! My nephew LOVES Phish so much that he travels to see them whenever he can... he thought it was rather unfair too!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 57
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
phishbon3s wrote:

One a side note:

I know, phishy!!! My nephew LOVES Phish so much that he travels to see them whenever he can... he thought it was rather unfair too!

~~me~~

LOL,

Sorry!

XD, It's one of those odd Net terms nowadays.

I admit, that I was just confused when first I heard it.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 25
Awww, Joy was back and I missed it!

I fail to see why people would even try sites like this. It's generally pretty tight knit and they are found out really quickly.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Joy, the PM spammer... 8 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
That's right, Momo, you were around for the last round of Joy the PM spammer goodness, LOL!

The only thing that makes me nuts about PM spam is that, unless they tag me, I don't know about it until someone says something. By that time, the spammer has had time to post several hundred stupid spam PMs.

That's okay, though, I usually get word within a day or so of it happening and can zap her into oblivion afterward, so it's all good!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.